Thursday, September 6, 2007

the 2 X 2 A5 sketches of "i am ... , and i love/hate ..."

wooo, first tutorial's over! pretty interesting, and definitely a refreshing change to see and hear my fellow classmates, rather than just staring at the tutor for two whole hours. :) Some of the works were really impressive, while some were, just , ahem, lets just say, they've got a bit of work to do.
okay, who am i to comment actually. Just look at my sketches! they're still so problematic! :(

"My name is Jocelyn, and I hate the pressures of life."

In this sketch, I've chosen to use the image of an egg cracking under PRESSURE, and the yolk seeping out, to depict the strain from the combined pressures of life. My name 'JOCELYN', spelt in capital letters, is embedded in the cracks of the egg for both first and second sketches.

In the second sketch, the concept used is similar, with the addition of a grey woman's high-heels stepping on the egg. This is to heighten the sense of pressure in the drawing.

Both sketches are hand-coloured with felt-tip markers.

Comments: I have realised that this is too abstract an idea to express, and most are unable to understand what the drawing is intended to portray. Also, it is hard to tell the name apart from the lines of the crack in the egg.




"My name is Jocelyn, and I love being around nature."

In the first sketch, there's a close-up drawing of a fresh leaf, with a dew drop on its very tip to emphasise on the vibrancy of nature. My name is written using the inter-twisting veins of the leaf.

In the second sketch, a butterfly is drawn flitting around a flower. My name is written using the trail left behind by the butterfly.

Both sketches are hand-coloured with felt-tip markers.

Comments: The second sketch, is too literal as it just spells out my name without incorporating it into the picture fully.

Bah. If there's one thing the teachers have been emphasing, it is to learn to not fall in love with your very first draft. And so, i'm going to heed their advice, and forge ahead, and trash these sketches. Time to take out those colour pencils again..

No comments: